Re: [wtp-dev] POLL: 3.0 or 3.1

I vote for 3.1.

--- wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I vote Eclipse 3.1 because,

> 1. There is already a sample of the web tools available for Eclipse 3.0.

> 2. People interested in installing our milestone builds are probably going

> to install the Eclipse 3.1 milestone builds as well.
> 3. The web tools
should work with the latest version of Eclipse and
> according to the Web
Tools milestone plan it looks like the first release
> will be around the
time of the Eclipse 3.1 release.

> If the project does move to Eclipse
3.1 I think we should follow the
> Eclipse milestone plan by a week as Naci
suggests. This will mean pushing
> back M2 and M3 by a week but I think
it will be worth it in the long run.

> The current Eclipse 3.1 milestone
plan:
> Friday Nov. 5, 2004 - Milestone 3 (3.1 M3) - stable build
> Friday
Dec. 17, 2004 - Milestone 4 (3.1 M4) - stable build
> Friday Feb. 18, 2005
 - Milestone 5 (3.1 M5) - stable build
> Friday Apr. 1, 2005 - Milestone
6 (3.1 M6) - stable build

> The current Web Tools milestone plan:

Wednesday Dec. 15, 2004 - Milestone 2
3

> Lawrence Mandel
>
> Software Developer
> IBM Rational Software
- XML Web Services Tooling

Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
> 10/19/2004 03:10 AM
> Please respond
> wtp-dev

> wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, wtp-committers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> cc
>
> Subject
> [wtp-dev] POLL:  3.0 or 3.1
>

> Please voice your opinions on the subject:
>

> WTP release will
be for Eclipse 3.1, so eventually we have to move to
> 3.1.  The question
not if but when.

> 3.0 Pros
> - 3.0.x stream i stsable and beaing used
in production - It will provide
> an
> immediate test bed since there
are many installed.

> 3.0 Cons
> - Delayed integration with 3.1, missing
the potential to create
> requirements for 3.1 development steram

3.1 Pros
> - Early and greadual integration with new Eclispe features
>

> 3.1 Cons
> - Working with a changing code base.
>
> My Suggestion
is WTP 1.0M2 (Released Dec 15) should be based on Eclipse
> 3.1M3 (Released
Nov5).  Eclipse 3.1M4 is released two days after (Dec 17)
> so this creates
a potential problem with immediately becoming
> outdated.  Ideally we should
lag Eclipse releases by a week or so, but
> December is problematic due
to Holidays.
> Naci Dai,
> Managing Director