Re: [wtp-dev] POLL: 3.0 or 3.1

I agree - I vote for Eclipse 3.1.

We have to keep up with the 3.1 milestones if we have any hope of utilizing features we have requested.

I also agree with Naci's schedule proposal

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Lawrence Mandel <lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/19/2004 12:08 PM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
wtp-committers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [wtp-dev] POLL:  3.0 or 3.1

I vote Eclipse 3.1 because,

1. There is already a sample of the web tools available for Eclipse 3.0.

2. People interested in installing our milestone builds are probably going to install the Eclipse 3.1 milestone builds as well.

3. The web tools should work with the latest version of Eclipse and according to the Web Tools milestone plan it looks like the first release will be around the time of the Eclipse 3.1 release.

If the project does move to Eclipse 3.1 I think we should follow the Eclipse milestone plan by a week as Naci suggests. This will mean pushing back M2 and M3 by a week but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

The current Eclipse 3.1 milestone plan:

Friday Nov. 5, 2004 - Milestone 3 (3.1 M3) - stable build
Friday Dec. 17, 2004 - Milestone 4 (3.1 M4) - stable build
Friday Feb. 18, 2005  - Milestone 5 (3.1 M5) - stable build
Friday Apr. 1, 2005 - Milestone 6 (3.1 M6) - stable build

The current Web Tools milestone plan:

Wednesday Dec. 15, 2004 - Milestone 2

Tuesday Feb. 15, 2005 - Milestone 3

Lawrence Mandel

Software Developer
IBM Rational Software - XML Web Services Tooling
Phone: 905 - 413 - 3814   Fax: 905 - 413 - 4920
lmandel@xxxxxxxxxx

Naci Dai <naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/19/2004 03:10 AM

Please respond to
wtp-dev

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, wtp-committers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] POLL:  3.0 or 3.1

Please voice your opinions on the subject:

WTP release will be for Eclipse 3.1, so eventually we have to move to
3.1.  The question not if but when.

3.0 Pros
- 3.0.x stream i stsable and beaing used in production - It will provide an
immediate test bed since there are many installed.

3.0 Cons
- Delayed integration with 3.1, missing the potential to create
requirements for 3.1 development steram

3.1 Pros
- Early and greadual integration with new Eclispe features

3.1 Cons
- Working with a changing code base.

My Suggestion is WTP 1.0M2 (Released Dec 15) should be based on Eclipse
3.1M3 (Released Nov5).  Eclipse 3.1M4 is released two days after (Dec 17)
so this creates a potential problem with immediately becoming
outdated.  Ideally we should lag Eclipse releases by a week or so, but
December is problematic due to Holidays.
Naci Dai,
Managing Director

eteration a.s.
Inonu cad. Sumer sok. Zitas D1-15