[wtp-dev] Re: FW: [platform-webdav-dev] It's time to put it in the SDK

Ed (and the WebTools mailing list),

It is a bit premature to propose moving the FTP/WebDAV plugins to the webtools project. I suggest it as one of several possiblities (another being as you suggest: to make it part of the SDK). My main concern is not really where the plugins should live so much as what the status of the plugins should be.

As it currently stands, the FTP/WebDAV support that is provided by Eclipse is little more than a tech preview of the FTP and WebDAV clients and examples of some of our Team synchronization support. As a summer project, I have been refactoring the plugins to allow their use in an RCP application. This involved removing the dependency on IResource by defining a simpler resource API that is suitable to use for resource deployment. This has lead to the number of plugins growing from 2 to 8 which are kept in the team area of the Eclipse repository (i.e. they are accessible but not part of the eclipse repository proper). My motivation for addressing this issue now is that I want to make sure the these plugins are in their proper home (wherever that is) before these plugins are introduced into a main repository.

My rational for considering the WebTools project is that, it seems to me, the products build on top of the WebTools components would want a resource deployment API and FTP and WebDAV bindings to that API. As I mentioned above, my involvement in the FTP/WebDAV support is more through my own interest and not part of my main reponsibilities (and I am really the only person contribtuing code to these plugins at this time). Once the Eclipse Platform 3.1 plan solidifies, I will have to give priority to items that are on that plan. Thus, if things stay as they are, the status of these plugins will not change (i.e. they will not be included in the SDK and will not be product quality).

If my assumption is correct, then those involved in the WebTools project who feel that the products they are planning to deliver require product quality FTP or WebDAV support will need to take steps to ensure that the FTP/WebDAV plugins become product quality. My feeling was that, if there were community members in the WebTools space that wanted to contribute to these plugins, it would be easier for them to do so if the plugins where in the WebTools project. However, before moving the plugins is considered, I suspect that there are discussions that must take place (most likely at the PMC level) to decide if the status of the plugins should change at all. Once a decision is made on this, a decision about where they plugins should live can be made given the resources available, etc.

I am planning on bringing this topic to the attention of the PMC in order to start the discussion there. I would be curious to know what others think of this topic as well. Is my assumption correct or is deployment in the WebTools space done using other tools? Is there any plans for a resource deployment API for use by WebTools?

Michael

"Ed Burnette" <Ed.Burnette@xxxxxxx>

17/08/2004 10:48 AM

<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Michael Valenta/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Subject
FW: [platform-webdav-dev] It's time to put it in the SDK

Michael Valenta proposes moving the FTP/WebDAV plugins over to the Webtools project because it is related to deployment. What do you think?