RE: [wsvt-dev] what's the plan for wsvt?

Hi Lawrence,

Certainly I can make wsvt ant build tool work by getting rid of dependences on other eclipse plugins or environment. In fact, that's what I did. But I think wsvt could have a better out-of-box experience for end users so that they don't have to dig into the code base at the very beginning to just compile the code.

e.g. In the build.xml in org.eclipse.wsdl.validate plugin, all classpaths depend on

	<property name="basews" value="${ws}"/>

which I have to spend some time to figure it out. Better out-of-box experience may be able to attract more users.

you can certainly argue that if a wsdl file is not xml conformant, there's no point to do wsdl validation. well, there are other user senarios here. e.g., if I have my own xml validation tool, which is better or more fit to my own usage than wsvt xml conformance validation, I want to use my own tool to validate xml conformance, but want to use wsvt wsdl and wsi tool to do other validation. there's no way to do this right now with wsvt out of box.

the way wsvt is using is

    if (validateXML(valInfo))
    {
      if (validateWSDL(valInfo, wsdlNamespace) && (wsiLevel == WSI_REQUIRE || wsiLevel == WSI_SUGGEST))
      {
        validateWSIConformance(valInfo);
      }
    }

This is a mandatory process, one step prerequesiting another.

the function I like most in wsvt is the err report mechenism wrapped around the original wsi-test-tools downloaded from ws-i website. To use wsi toolkit, you have to provide a config file (usually manually) specifying the port, parent node, namespace, wsdl url, etc, and have to dig into the report for final result.

wsvt.wsi did a good job to simplify this process and user can get results directly. This is the part really useful to me, otherwise i have to write similar stuff myself.

thanks,
--Bo