[wb-dev] WindowBuilder Graduation/Release Review

Tools PMC,

Please see the attached WindowBuilder Graduation/Release review document.

As you are probably aware, in the wake of Google's acquisition of Instantiations last year and subsequent decision to make all of the former Instantiation tools free to the community, Google contributed the WindowBuilder IP (core engine plus SWT/RCP, eRCP, XWP and Swing tools) to Eclipse.org to form the new WindowBuilder project.

We have been working diligently these past six months with the primary goal of bringing the project fully into the Eclipse open source community. Here's what we have done so far:
  • Moved existing code base to Eclipse.org namespace
  • Established core set of public APIs
  • Externalized all strings to resource files for localization
  • Further modularized the code base to minimize its required footprint
  • Updated build process to sign and compact jars
  • Fixed any and all reported bugs
We have also been working to move (and expand) the existing WindowBuilder community (>200K users since 2003) to Eclipse.org. We have been responding to lots of Eclipse forum questions and addressing any Bugzilla issues.

Our first Eclipse-branded build was available on 1/16/2011 from code.google.com, and our initial code contribution was made on 3/9/2011. Our first Eclipse.org build was available on 4/7/2011 and new builds have been available weekly. We would like to schedule a 1.0.0 release on 6/22/2011.

Our committer team is committed to being open and transparent but acknowledges that we are still learning the Eclipse way and have much more to do in this regard and much to learn from our mentors. We would like the project to graduate from incubation and move to a 1.0.0 release when Indigo is released in June. We are therefore respectfully requesting an exception to the normal Eclipse time-scale based on the following:
  • WindowBuilder is a very mature project
  • The team has worked on open source projects in the past
  • We will continue to work closely with our mentors going forward toward Juno
  • We are confident that we will be able to better follow the normal milestone flow for Juno
Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to acting on any advice and answering any questions you may have.

Regards,

-Eric