[vtp-dev] Seeking advice and/or information from Linux users

Are there any developers/committers of this project who are using Linux? Particularly Ubuntu? Can you give me a hand?

I have been working on VTP since 2005, so far all in Windows, using Eclipse 3.0 through 3.4. The part I work on makes telephone calls through the Skype client, so it has Java-to-native environment issues, which I originally solved in a Windows-only manner, and recently have been working to make available also for Linux and OS X.

A team supported by Skype has produced the necessary multiplatform interface code and I have been working to integrate that code into the VTP code I developed previously. In principle, once that is done, it should work on Linux and OS X "magically". I have finished that integration.

Of course, I have to verify that it does work on non-Windows platforms, and I am finding the "magic" is wearing off quickly.

I am not at all experienced with Linux. I have quite a bit of experience as a Unix user, so I thought it could not be too hard. So, which Linux distribution to use? From what I had heard, it sounded as though Ubuntu would be one of the smoothest and easiest choices to get Linux up and running on my computer -- that seems to be true enough. Setting up my machine to dual boot Ubuntu and XP was very easy, and Ubuntu out of the box runs very well, but it does not include Skype, or Eclipse, or Sun Java.

The Ubuntu application repositories do make Sun Java and Eclipse available as packages to download and install. The Eclipse version is 3.2, and it is configured to run on GCJ, not Sun Java. I am trying to figure out if/how that matters to what I am doing. Eclipse fires up, apparently OK, and the first thing I try to do is to install the Subclipse plugin for Subversion from the tigris.org update site, where I got it from for Windows. All is apparently well until the Eclipse software update tool says it cannot find any features on the tigris.org update site. Bummer. I switch back to Windows, find a 3.2 version of Eclipse, and repeat the exercise from Windows and it works fine.

Has anyone else gotten Subclipse installed and operating on Linux or Ubuntu?

I found a version of Skype client supposedly tailored to Ubuntu, but I cannot make calls from it. Seems it may be a mismatch with my headset.

So successful Linux users out there, what distribution are you using? And what version of Eclipse?

-- Mike

Back to the top