Re: [vtp-dev] Bundle Versions

After doing some research on how other projects manage their version numbers
I came to the realization that version (at least when you are talking
bundles) is a release management thing, not a development thing.  The trunk,
or where ever the primary development occurs, is frozen in time with the
same version number.  The differences in builds is handled by the
".qualifier" extension on the bundle version.

PDE build is smart enough to replace this with the current time stamp
(yyyymmddhhmmss) when exporting to a bundle or using the headless build.
This allows the developers to load the latest version of the plugins without
having to hack the manifest file all the time.

At the point of release the version numbers of all bundles are updated to
the release version and then tagged in the repository.  The maintenance work
will be done in this new work stream and under that version. e.g. 3.1 gets
tagged and the next bug fix release is tagged as 3.1.1.  All the development
done until 3.1.1 will be listed as 3.1.0.qualifier.  We could do the
development under 3.1.1.qualifier if that sounds better.

Trip Gilman