Re: [vtp-dev] Questions, directions, techie stuff

Trip -

Thank you for these words. I was unaware of what you say here, and now you have brought me (and others, no doubt) more up-to-date with the project history. Can you enlighten us with the current status of v3.0 and near-term plans to release?

Yes, I have happily noted the recent activity in checkins to the repository. I am particularly happy to see the efforts of Adam Berry to get the project into the Eclipse build system.

As for my original launcher contribution, it still works as is discussed in Bug 235044, and can be included in the build as is. Bug 235044 still needs to be fixed in order to resurrect the Run... menu choice to invoke the launcher after deploying the application. I am curious how Dirk is integrating his JVoiceXML launcher into the platform without using Run..., or is he also expecting that Bug 235044 gets fixed?

-- Mike

Trip Gilman wrote:
Mike,

You are correct in that this mailing list is provided by the Eclipse foundation for our project to use to discuss issues of design and architecture and to iron out implementation details. The design decisions that I have recently described were not discussed in this forum as they were made prior to OpenMethods contributing what is now the majority of the VTP codebase.

The codebase has been stable from a design and architecture standpoint for quite some time. If you look at the recent Bugzilla and source commit activity for this project you'll see that there has been quite a number of bugs and minor usability enhancements that have been put in place. Sam Hopkins has made significant contributions in both usability and defect resolution. Adam Berry has done a great job bringing the VTP into the common Eclipse build infrastructure. We will soon have consistent and frequent builds to offer consumers of this project. Randy Childers has been invaluable in testing and documentation updates. Dirk has been implementing the launcher configuration and bridge for JVoiceXML. I have finished work on the media defaults system and merged it into the trunk for general consumption.

I will be kicking off a discussion of the "what's next" variety soon for the next major development effort, but for the most part, the current design and architecture has been able to adequately support the expanding feature set. I would suggest that if anyone has suggestions or feature requests that they post them to either this list, the newsgroup, or preferably directly into Bugzilla. I have tried to be open about the process behind the decisions made on this project, even those that occurred pre-contribution. I am more than willing to discuss any decision made in the past or those that will be made in the future. Are there any design or architecture elements in particular you would like to discuss?

Trip Gilman