[vtp-dev] Active Projects

Title: Active Projects

I wanted to post a recap of the efforts and projects underway here at the VTP.  I like to separate things
into long running (endless) sets of tasks and those that are directed at implementing a particular feature
or functionality.

Long Running Efforts
Though these items won’t really ever be completed and this list is far from
complete, the following are a few items I’d like us to focus on for the time being:

UI Usability – Things that make using the development tool or deploying applications easier falls into
this category.  Some examples would be:
  • Spelling corrections
  • Wording updates
  • Addition of tooltips
  • Alphabetizing item lists
  • Consistent widget types for actions

Documentation – As things evolve over time, one of the most difficult tasks we as developers have is
making sure the documentation remains up to date.  The following documentation needs to be updated:
  • Javadoc comments
  • Extension Point schema element descriptions and examples
  • HTML user documentation

Language Support – One of the most compelling features of the voice tools development environment is
its support for providing a consistent caller experience regardless of the language used for interaction.
Currently only an English language pack is available at the VTP.  I’d like to see this list grow in the near
future.  Here is a list of languages I think would be great contributions:
  • French
  • French-Canadian
  • German
  • Spanish (Spain)
  • Spanish (Mexico)
  • British English
  • Hindi

Current Projects
There are a couple of minor projects being undertaken within the VTP and one major project being
conducted by the JVoiceXML guys.  The following outlines the projects and their current state and status:

Extended Error Path Support – Provide the ability for the application developer to catch non-typical VXML
events that might occur during the execution of an element.  These events would be exposed as additional
exit points on the elements and can have additional call flow attached to them.  This however is not intended
To provide support for global behavior type capabilities.  This project is active and roughly 50% implemented.

JVoiceXML Launcher – Extend the debug and simulation capabilities of the VTP to include using JVoiceXML
as the VXML interpreter.  This project is being conducted outside of the VTP proper but I am including it to
ensure they get all the help they need to be successful in this endeavor.  This project has just started.

Complete Initial Theme Support – Expose the selection of theme in the project/workspace preferences and
the creation of a second theme.  This is a prerequisite for doing the proposed Inspector project discussed
below.  This project will be starting in the near future.

Proposed Projects
This is the short list of projects we’ve discussed in the past.  I think all of them would be great improvements
to the project.  If only we had more time...

Interface internationalization – Making the development environment interface fully i18n ready.  This is a
massive undertaking

Printing Support – The ability to print the design canvases and other information about a project.

Cut, Copy & Paste – Implement the common editing functions.  This is part of a larger discussion of editor
architecture and document model that will get going once we activate this project.

Inspector API – Add the ability to view details about an element and its configuration as part of the element
display on the canvas.  This would be a framework to allow the inclusion of inspectors by third-parties.  Also,
this will require additional features added to the theme framework to identify available inspectors and provide
screen real estate to them.

On a side note, I’ve been manually posting my commit comments to the dev list.  We are working on making
this an automated process.  However, in the mean time please try to remember to do this as well for any
commits you may have.  Also, I’ve been adding a title or heading to my commits indicating the effort or project
they relate to.  I hope this will help people track the progress and changes being made to the VTP.

Cheers,
Trip Gilman
Voice Tools Project Lead

Back to the top