RE: [vtp-dev] VTP Tellme launcher and Skype v 2.5 -- Issue now understood

Ealier I mentioned the existence of a new response from Skype CALL nnn STATUS UNPLACED. That is the culprit.

Skype has a convention that if you send a command with a string “#somestring” prepended, then the response to THAT command would also be prepended with “#somestring”. That allows one to be sure which string coming from the Skype client is the response to that command.

So, the Tellme launcher initiates the call with “#tellme CALL +99008358965”, and up to now, the response has always been “#tellme CALL nnn STATUS ROUTING”. So the launcher actually matches that string to extract the Skype call number, nnn, which is then used to communicate with Skype about that call.

Now, the response from Skype is “#tellme CALL nnn STATUS UNPLACED”, and “#tellme CALL nnn STATUS ROUTING” never happens. (The routing message happens, but without the #tellme prefix.) That is the issue with Skype 2.5.

The fix should be pretty simple:

Change the code

                        final Pattern initial = Pattern

                                                .compile("^#tellme CALL (\\d+) STATUS ROUTING"); //$NON-NLS-1$

in SkypeCall.java to

                        final Pattern initial = Pattern

                                                .compile("^#tellme CALL (\\d+) STATUS"); //$NON-NLS-1$

If someone wants to file an appropriate bug for this, and make the change, I would be grateful. I don’t have my environment set up to do this properly, and I am not going to have time to do it.

-- Mike