Re: [virgo-dev] bundle configuration files as JSON or XML

ConfigAdmin can be used for that with ManagedService or ManagedServiceFactory.
Virgo support "config" types that is a java .properties file that is converted into a ConfigurationAdmin Configuration at runtime.
ManagedService or ManagedServiceFactory are notified automatically when configuration changes.
My assumption is that you are already doing something similar.  Where your implementation of MS or MSF does the heavy lifting of parsing your xml file.
Another approach to try is a OSGi support for Java Preferences.  See section 106 of osgi compendium spec.  http://www.osgi.org/javadoc/r4v42/org/osgi/service/prefs/PreferencesService.html

One more approach more to the Virgo/OSGi state of mind is to deploy your xml configuration as a bundle and register ArtifactLifecycleListener or BundleListener that looks for a specific manifest header for example.  Once you see that configuration deployed - deal with it as you do now to configure the service/system.

Dmitry