Re: [virgo-dev] Virgo F2F

Hi Glyn,

First of all congratulations on the successful Release and Graduation Reviews for Gemini Web and Virgo!

Over the last couple of weeks I've been rather quiet on the Virgo mailing list.  But, here at EclipseSource, we've been discussing how to run RAP[1] applications on Virgo with our RAP team.

Currently most of the productive RAP installations are deployed as war archives[2] into a Servlet Container[3]. We think this
is a less than optimal solution for running OSGi based applications.

We'd like to see Virgo emerging as an alternative runtime for RAP applications. This would allow us to use plain OSGi Services or Equinox extension points rather than using a ServletBridge infrastructure with an OSGi Container running inside a servlet container.
Because it is possible with the Gemini Web project to choose between the war deployment and a deployment using OSGi bundles with the same server infrastructure, this offers operators a smooth migration path from war to a plain OSGi deployment or maybe a par deployment.

With this in mind, I'd like to increase my efforts with Virgo and/or the Gemini Web project and would also be very interested in participating in the face to face meeting in Southampton later this year.

Regards,
Florian

[1] RAP (http://www.eclipse.org/rap/)
[2] How to Deploy a RAP Application to a Servlet Container? (http://help.eclipse.org/helios/topic/org.eclipse.rap.help/help/html/advanced/deployment.html)