From: Nick Boldt [mailto:nickboldt@xxxxxxxxx] Sent: 05 October 2009 10:32 PM
To: Snyman, Marius M; Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project
Subject: How to be a contributor to the VE project (was Re: VE Question.)

Marius:

To answer your question, I've created a wiki page to capture how best to set up a workspace for building VE (and JEM, since we build that as well).

http://wiki.eclipse.org/VE/Building

Let me know if that helps! (Or if anything's missing.)

--

As every project is run a bit differently, the best advice I can give you is to talk to the project leads &/or active developers, read the mailing list posts to see what's going on in the project, etc. Get involved! As people learn your name, and see what you're capable of (eg., fixing bugs, submitting patches, contributing to architectural discussions/planning), you'll rise from 'interested user' to 'contributor' and maybe eventually committer.

(I'm the guy who pokes the builds & website from time to time, but I'm not actively involved in the planning, development, or management of this project beyond that.)

Joe? Yves? Anything to add?

Nick

Snyman, Marius M wrote:
Nick, I noticed you did the VE 1.4.0 R build. If you would be so kind to assist me in getting started with the VE stuff.

I have never before been a contributor to open-source. The primary reason is that I do not know howe to get started.

I have checked out the VE-ALL projects. There are sub-projects under some other projects.

If I open the projects in Eclipse I have a lot of errors regarding dependencies for logging and concurrency, etc..

I would like to understand this.
Must the project structures remain exactly as checked out?

Must I download the dependencies from their respective web-sites? I have done this for the concurrency.jar and when I included it in the project I get deprecation errors on the JDT sources.

Are there some basic guidelines somewhere on how to get actively involved in a project.

Kind regards.

Marius Snyman

Marius.Snyman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

011 269 5591

** **
*Standard Bank email disclaimer and confidentiality note*

Please go to http://www.standardbank.co.za/site/homepage/emaildisclaimer.html to read our email disclaimer and confidentiality note. Kindly email disclaimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:disclaimer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (no content or subject line necessary) if you cannot view that page and we will email our email disclaimer and confidentiality note to you.

--
Nick Boldt :: http://nick.divbyzero.com
Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena

Back to the top