[ve-dev] Regarding the VM(s)

Hi all,

Seems like we have several possibilities regarding VM usage:

1) Run VE in the same VM as Eclipse
2) Run VE in a single VM that is external to Eclipse
3) Run VE in multiple VMs, but only one for each JRE
4) Run VE in mutiple VMs, one per component regardless of JRE version.

Since we are currently at (4), I think we can agree that moving toward (3) or (2) would be an improvement in resource utilization without excessive risk. While (1) might be a bit riskier, it would be more efficient. It might make sense if we could move toward a solution that would allow a preference as to whether we use the same VM or an external VM when we are developing for a single JRE version.

There might be some possibilities with enforcement by the java security infrastructure, but most users probably aren't running Eclipse with the secure mode on. It seems more likely that we would pick up special cases like System.exit() when parsing the code. I would think infinite loops or thread deadlock would be more of a concern for the Eclipse JVM, and would be harder to detect. Again, having a preference that allows the user to select internal or external would allow the user to accept or avoid the risk.

- Steve

Back to the top