Re: [ve-dev] Why do you avoid answering about the status of the project?

Hi Serhiy,

Aplogies for the silence on the mailing list.    The project is stalled right now for a number of reasons that look like they're slowly, and finally, unwinding.

First, is that on 3.3 (Europa) a component called JEM that we share with the WTP team broke because code it pre-req'd changed.  WTP very kindly stepped the code up to 3.3, which involved a bit of churn to move it to a new repository.  This is the reason that people who check code out were seeing things like "org.eclipse.ve.jem... not found" and so forth, because we didn't anticipate the configuration problems this would cause.  Hopefully they're fixed now.

Second, now that WTP have stepped JEM up to 3.3 it means that it makes sense to look at stepping VE up to 3.3.  It is also a good time to look at injecting new talent into the VE team and I've been off-list talking to a number of people about becoming new commiters and getting involved in the project.  Steve Robenalt has been through the process of becoming a new committer, which is reallygreat as he brings a lot of knowledge and enthusiasm to the project, and he and one other commiter have been looking at the work required to step VE up to 3.3.

The next step is to get to the point where we can start releasing 3.3 code into the HEAD stream in CVS.  There are a few things to do before this can occur but once we get these resolved then what we need to do is get a 3.3 VE build.

As an aside, VE has multiple personalities, one is for  people who want out of the box GUI building for Java toolkits, of which it supports AWT/Swing/SWT/EclipseForms and there is stuff that works for RCP views and editor parts. This is kind of "Visual Basic" experience, or the Matisse peer.  The second alter ego of VE is for the person who wants to extend the framework to do cool stuff like add new widget, new layout managers, new persistence formats (like XML rather than Java) or new wiget toolkits such as mobile Java and so forth. VE has current customers who do both tasks.  Going forward once the 3.3 stuff is out of the way, I'm really keen to see people on this newsgoup try to decide what the future path of VE should be in terms of it being a GUI builder vs. a framework for GUI builders that provides an implementation for various Java toolkits.  This would affect things like how much of the API gets written up, whether effort is spent doing tutorials, presentations and so forth on how to leverage the VE through plugins and so forth, or whether VE should support things like RCP preference pages, dialogs, wizards, mutli page editor part building and such.

Best regards,

Joe

"Serhiy Veryovka" <4bugzilla@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ve-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

20/04/2007 08:38

Please respond to
Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project        <ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[ve-dev] Why do you avoid answering about the status of the project?

Hello,

Guys, there are few messages in the mailing list about the status of the Visual Editor project.
But no replays...
There is nothing strange that there are a lot of questions about the status of the project because it seems that there is no code commits to the project and no updates for a very long time.

Could you please tell people what is happening with the project and will there be any new release ever?

Best regards
Serhiy