Re: AW: [ve-dev] VE with XML Persistence

I assume that you are using VE 1.1?

First time (cold) bring up, will require you to launch a target VM for the editor, and (if it is a first time ever opening a particular file), a reverse parse, and most likely introspection (which requires another target VM launch).

Reverse parsing, and introspection is cached (and removed on a project clean), hence next open will not require this path.

When you drop a new widget that was not introspected yet, introspection (and possibly target VM launch) will take place.

Do you see performance issues after you have opened, and closed a file for the first time (where introspection/reverse parse is not needed anymore), and a a spare VM is ready on standby to open an editor?

If performance is acceptable in the later case, it is possible to prime the cache/VM on startup.

If not, there is a way to "not" use a target VM, and run inside the IDE; it is significantly faster as you do not need to launch any VM (Disk bound), and introspection data is not passed using TCP/IP - it introduce other limitations (class shape changes, and the version level of the target image will be that of the IDE).

------------
Dr. Gili Mendel
IBM
Software Development
RTP Raleigh, NC
(919)543 6408, tie: 441 6408

HÖSS.Alexander <A.HOeSS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ve-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

09/09/2005 07:25 AM

Please respond to
Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project

"Discussions people developing code for the Visual Editor project" <ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
AW: [ve-dev] VE with XML Persistence

Hi Joe,

the startup time isn't very important to us. More important is to improve the performance of dropping new widgets from the palette and editing these widgets graphically. These actions are still a little bit slow on my workstation (1,8 GHz, 1 GB RAM) and the target platform of our new product won't be as fast as my machine. So we are looking for solutions to improve the described performance issues. Can another persistence strategy help me out of that? Do you have other ideas how to improve the performance?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alexander