[ve-dev] VE Webpages CVS changing

Hi,

Just to let you know, the CVS for VE webpages is being moved in stages over to a new CVS. The way it currently works is that when the web server references our web pages it will actually use CVS to extract the HEAD version of the desired page. This is slow and is not load-balanced. The new CVS is different in that when something is checked into a HEAD, that file is mirrored to a load-balanced server. So when accessed it doesn't go through CVS, and so is much faster.

What is happening is, as we get to them, files will be moved from the old CVS to the new CVS. If you need to update a page and you go to the old CVS and can't find the file, then it has been moved to the new CVS. You should then go to the new CVS and update it there. If it is still on the old CVS, just update on the old CVS. It will eventually be moved. If you need to add a new page, please add it on the new CVS, and if the page that points to it is still on the old CVS, put in the full path to the new location in the old CVS page, otherwise do normal relative referencing.

Here are the particulars:
  1. When you check in a file to the new CVS, the mirroring is not immediate. It will take up to 10 minutes before it will show up on the server, but the average time is about 5 minutes.
  2. CVS Host: dev.eclipse.org
    Repository path: /home/local/data/cvs/org.eclipse
    Connection type: extssh
    Use default port.

    Checkout the folder: www/vep from HEAD. It is structured as a project, so you don't need to use CheckOut as Project, just Checkout will do.
  3. The http: path to use: http://www.eclipse.org/vep/  Then the path under the vep project to your file.
  4. When referencing another file in the new vep project as a link, use relative referencing as you now do.
  5. Please don't put any references to the old vep-home in the new vep project. We won't know about these and they may not get fixed up when the file being pointed to is moved to the new CVS. If this situation occurs, please just contact me so we can decide what to do.
  6. We've only moved a few images that are actually being referenced by the pages that have already been moved. If you want to reference one of the images that are still in vep-home, please just move only that image to the new cvs and reference it relatively.

We'll send out a notice when the  move is complete. It is being done slowly as we can get to it since there is no urgency to this.

Thanks,
Rich Kulp

Back to the top