Re: [ve-dev] Eclipse VEP 0.5 plugin not working

Hi,

Two things:

1) This mailing list is for the developers of VE. Questions on usage of VE should be in the eclipse.tools.ve newsgroup.

2) Don't intermix 3.0 and 2.1.3 stuff. They don't go together. Instead erase all of the 2.1.3 eclipse and GEF and EMF 1.x and VE 0.5.0 and just step up to the latest Eclipse SDK 3.0, GEF 3.0, EMF 2.0, and VE 1.0M2. VE 0.5.0 is obsolete. There have been tremendous changes since then.

Thanks,
Rich

Pablo Salinas <pablopesb@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ve-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/12/2004 08:25 PM

Please respond to
ve-dev

ve-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[ve-dev] Eclipse VEP 0.5 plugin not working

Hi there,
         I am completely new to Eclipse and Java
programming. I need to use Java in my final degree
project. That is why I checked for free sdks available
and found all these great reviews about eclipse.
So, I installed eclipse 2.1-3 and 3.0 on my "FEDORA
CORE 1 machine", and they worked just fine. My machine
has j2sdk1.4.2_04 installed on it.
Then, I tried to install the Visual Editor Pluging
(VEP 0.5). I've downloaded and unzipped GEF, emf and
VEP zip files into the eclipse directories, for both
versions of eclipse (2.1-3 and 3.0).
But, for both versions I get the same error dialog
boxes when I try to open the Visual Editor:

Visual Editor for Java Error
Error trying to set new file into editor.

Reason:
java.lang.NullPointerException

Errors Running Operations
Create Remove VM for Visual Editor for Java (Error: An
internal error ocurred during: "Create Remove VM for
Visual Editor for Java")
java.lang.NullPointerException
org.eclipse.jem.internal.proxy.remote.REMRegistryController.getMasterSocketPort(REMRegistryController.java:172)

I believe that it should be some type of configuration
problem, but I have no idea on how to fix it. I've
searched through the net and found no info about this
problem.
Please, somebody help me. I am on hurry here.

thanks in advance,
                  Pablo Salinas