Re: [ve-dev] Create Visual Class Wizard - new design for review

   Yes.  I think we should set the height of the tree listbox so that it fits the three default styles (SWT, Swing, and AWT) without scrolling.
   Ideally we would want to expand all by default.  This would work fine with the 3 default styles (since it's a small set).  However, it the set is augmented with other styles, this would result in a large tree that would force a scroll bar by default.  Since we want to avoid scrolling as much as possible, I would recommend expanding by default the first style in the list (SWT) and collapsing the rest.

So ideally then, the Visual Editor - as downloaded from eclipse.org - would only support these three on default (or whatever is deemed appropriate by the Visual Editor team). We provide the contribution interface, and if someone wrote a contribution to one of these styles (say for example a company, if they released their own eclipse brand), they would add it after the fact? I like the idea of expanding one node on open, and leaving the other closed.  I guess that pretty much solves the scrolling issue.

2) If the list size is larger than the treeview, a vertical scrollbar
will be appended to the right side of the treeview?

  <LS>
    Yes.  I think we want to minimize the likelihood of a scroll bars since it will eat into the available width.
  </LS>
Ok. Sound sensible.  So if they do go ahead and open all nodes, a scrollbar would appear there.

3) Will there be, or does there need to be, further nesting in the tree
view, other than the single level we have now?
(ie we have SWT->Composite, will there be SWT->FOO->BAR->Control)

   <LS>
   My assumption was that there wouldn't be additional nesting.  I set up the width to accommodate just one level.  Further levels would lead to a horizontal scrollbar (which I think want to avoid)
   </LS>
I'm not sure if there would be or not either.  If it would be explicitly disallowed or not. Is there a use case for having multiple nesting?

4) How will we control the extent of horizontal dimension of the
treeview? (Add a horizontal scrollbar or limits size of entries)?

    <LS>
  If possible, I wouldn't display the horizontal bar until the width of the entries force scrolling.  We should try to set the width of the treelist box so that there is no horizontal scrolling with the default set of styles (with some room for string expansion in translation).
   </LS>
I think the treeview is a good idea, though I do understand the concerns it might not be ideal. It does allow for expansion beyond the current static ui, and if the list of styles did get rather long the treeview can compensate with scrolling within the pane, even if that is not desirable. It does break the flow a bit (the top part of the class is top->bottom flow, the bottom half (the treeview and options) is left->right flow) but thats kind of minor, and nothing too bad.

Regards

Phil

Phil Muldoon <pmuldoon@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ve-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/18/2004 11:23 AM
Please respond to ve-dev

1) On the treeview, will all the elements be automatically expanded as
shown in the screenshot?
2) If the list size is larger than the treeview, a vertical scrollbar
will be appended to the right side of the treeview?
3) Will there be, or does there need to be, further nesting in the tree
view, other than the the single level we have now?