RE: [ve-dev] Create Visual Class Wizard

Title: Message
Phil asked me earlier today about how we as a project handle code submissions.  After I told him what Gili said below (this happened before Gili sent his response.), Phil suggested that we adopt a code submission protocol used by lots of other successful open source projects including Eclipse's CDT project:

- Code developed by non-committers is extracted from Eclipse as a patch which is then posted to the ve-dev mailing list.  (If traffic gets too high on ve-dev, we can split the mailing list, but we're not anywhere near that problem right now.)

- It will be the responsibility of the committer of the applicable code area to evaluate the patch and commit it or deny it.

- The responsible committer will then post a reply to the list minimally indicating "+1" if the patch went in, and "-1" plus a reason if it didn't.  Of course, compliments and/or constructive criticism are also welcome. :-)

Advantages of this protocol:

- New folks will have more opportunities to learn the VE code base from the others who are climbing the learning curve.  For example, I'm sure I'll learn from reading Phil's patches even though I'm not working in the same area as he is.

- This provides a built-in code review.  The more people we have reading code patches, the faster we'll find bugs in those patches, and the faster everyone will learn as a result.  (See http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s05.html; more detail available at http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s04.html; but the whole essay is very worth reading).

- Our team will produce higher quality code as a result.

- Reading a well-written code patch is fun!  Really well-written code can border on poetry.  The more fun we have together here, the more folks will want to spend time here.  Some of those folks will want to write cool code like they see contributed.

- The mailing list traffic isn't exactly hopping; this will give us more to talk about.  :-)  When traffic becomes unbearable, we can split the mailing list into ve-dev and ve-patches.  I'd be really happy to have that problem.  :-)

- The mailing list archives will automatically provide an audit trail of patches that are contributed to the project.

So I propose that we follow the protocol Phil has recommended here.

Comments, anyone?

Regards,

Dave