[ve-dev] Meeting minutes

I didn't write down everyone who was present, so I'll just recount those who
participated in the discussion.  If anyone notices any inaccuracy in the
following, please post a reply.  I will take no replies to indicate that
these minutes are a fair and accurate representation of what happened.

Dave Orme started the meeting at 8:10 and handed the lead to Joe Winchester.

Joe Winchester described IBM's proposal to put SWT style bits on the
BeanInfo class itself.  There was some discussion and in general people
seemed to feel that pragmatically, this approach could be workable.

Scott Stanchfield then raised a concern that this approach possibly deviates
too far from the BeanInfo spec itself and pointed out that we will have to
live with whatever decisions we make now for a very long time.  He contended
that the BeanInfo spec specifies properties as attributes of objects that
can be manipulated in a designer, not strictly as getters and setters.
Therefore, in order to conform to the spec as much as possible, Scott felt
that we should use PropertyDescriptor if at all possible.

The lead was then given to Scott and he demonstrated some of his ideas by
prototyping them in Eclipse in real time.  But we ran into difficulties with
the inflexibility of the Introspector implementation throwing NPEs.

Gili then suggested that as a pragmatic matter, that we move forward using
IBMs implementation but that Scott see if he could make an alternate
implementation more in keeping with the spirit of the BeanInfo spec to work
and share his results.  We would then revisit the issue.  Dave Orme agreed
that this was a good plan of action.  Scott agreed to do so.

Dave Orme then asked the Instantiations team what they thought.  Eric
Clayburg indicated that he has little experience with BeanInfo but then went
on to say that the IBM proposal mirrors closely what Instantiations is
already doing in SWT Designer.

Dave Orme then asked the IBM team to provide a document describing their
design and post it to ve-dev, which Gili agreed to do.

Then Dave Orme adjourned the meeting.

Back to the top