Re: [ve-dev] Launch Configurations for Proxy remote VM's.

Phil,

>> Well you lose that, but in your ant example I almost always use the
>> context menu. It's just easy for me to keep track of what is going on
>> when I have multiple projects in the workspace. Could we have both?

Yeah we could have both. The biggest thing is if more than one configuration was created for a project.

Maybe we can do the following in this situation:
  • The first time it comes up with more than one configuration for a project and none is marked as the one to run, we will pop up a dialog asking which one to make the current. After that it will automatically select that one every time, even across sessions (though not across workspaces, if exported to a different workspace, e.g. through CVS, then there wouldn't be a current set in the new workspace so the dialog will come up the first time).
  • The entry on the context menu of the project will bring up the configuration if there is only one configuration, much like the "Run Ant...". If there is more than one, then they all will be listed with the user choosing which is to be the current one, again like "Run Ant...". And then that one will come up.
  • The entry on the toolbar will be a standard launch manager type, it will list all of them to allow configuration of any of them, for all projects that have them. It won't be used to change the "current" one for a project. That needs to be done through the context menu or upon the first launch of a remote VM.

One question I would have is, do we put this context menu item on every Java project? Is there any kind of filter we could use? I can't think of any because we don't have any kind of flags to indicate a project will have this kind of proxy launch requirement. Proxy launches can happen in any project. I don't want to clutter the menu. I think I could filter it out such that if there is no configuration created for the project, then there is no menu item. Then the way to create one is through the toolbar item, but after that the context menu can be used from then on. This may be possible, but there could be difficulties because I don't want to force starting our plugin unnecessarily, but determining visibility may be hard otherwise. It may be possible because I think I can have it look at project properties without supplying any code. That runs using support straight from the base Eclipse.

Thanks,
Rich

Back to the top