Re: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Should editor show new wizard for empty files?

From: <ui-best-practices-working-group-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, April 21, 2017 at 9:49 AM
To: UX Group <ui-best-practices-working-group@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Should editor show new wizard for empty files?
I wonder if we could instrument the Welcome screen to see what users do.
I believe in the efficiency of a guided tour to train our users as little as I believe in the efficiency of the welcome page ;)

I’ll have to disagree. I think Brian is on to something. Guided tours could be a great way to train users. We already often follow tutorials when learning new technologies. We’ve also seen how Cheatsheets can help once users can find them.

I’m not sure the Welcome page is the right place for this. As a user of a complex IDE, you become a new user many times as you start using some new aspect of the tools. Going back to the Welcome page might not be an intuitive place to start.

And it is really this type of functionality that has led me down a different path for IDEs. I don’t think you can properly do guided tours with the Eclipse Workbench concept. I think you would need much more flexibility to allow the tour to control the UI, move things around, highlight them, animate, etc. Turning it around, you need a UI that friendly to being guided.

Doug.

Back to the top