Re: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Should editor show new wizard for empty files?

On 04/21/2017 03:38 PM, Brian de Alwis wrote:
"Intuitive" interfaces don't exist.  Jared Spool's article is a must-read:
Ok, so let's rephrase that "we need interfaces that help the user learn through the knowledge gap and reaching the target knowledge gap" if you prefer. At the moment, our interfaces seems to start with a high target knowledge compared to the one of new users.
In the case of a new wizard, we show the difficulty (choosing a wizard) too early when the current knowledge of the user is just to create a file named "hello.java". If you read some any programming language tutorial, the flow starts from creating the file, then filling it; the IDE should IMO embrace that flow.
Many Eclipse IDE workflows don't have an incremental difficulty and very early confront the users with a difficult choice that's beyond their current knowledge. Working on those seems more profitable to me than working in any other education-like approach. If the workflow are "self explained" and map the expectations of the users, there's simply less need to teach it them via tours or documentation.
I wonder if we could instrument the Welcome screen to see what users do.
I believe in the efficiency of a guided tour to train our users as little as I believe in the efficiency of the welcome page ;)
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer for Red Hat Developers

Back to the top