Re: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Question about how to handle best practice

Francis Upton wrote on 12/10/2008 01:19:40 PM:
> What I have done in this case, is to have the message appear as it
> is, but just without the error icon (when the dialog is first
> presented), you can use an info icon I think.  I think the message
> at the top is useful.  Then if the user does something to cause the
> selection to be empty, it can have the error icon like it does now.

Yes, this is what the Platform and JDT wizards are doing. We start out with an INFO rather than ERROR status. Finish and Next would be disabled of course. If the user enters something and then clears again, you would show an ERROR status.

> It's sometimes unpleasant to do all of the special handling for
> these cases, and I don't know of a standard easy pattern (other than
> the first time flag). :)

If your wizard uses data binding, org.eclipse.jface.databinding.wizard.WizardPageSupport does all that special handling for you. See also org.eclipse.jface.examples.databinding.snippets.Snippet014WizardDialog in org.eclipse.jface.examples.databinding.

Boris

Back to the top