From: ui-best-practices-working-group-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ui-
best-practices-working-group-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eugene
Kuleshov
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 8:02 AM
To: User Interface Architecture Working Group
Subject: Re: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Todays presentation

Hi Tod,

  I am sorry to jump in into this discussion. This is very interesting
summary and one thing caught my attention.

  I am referring to SWT System Tray feature. While it is cool tiny
thing
on its own it is hard to use it to implement efficient user interaction
and I think this area should be explored further, so Platform can
deliver a better story for notifications and progress indication. Here
are few things that already supported by Platform:

-- Problems view (popular in IDE users)
-- Error view (not everyone know about it)
-- Progress trim bar (many plugins don't implement progress
notification
properly)
-- Progress view (not everyone know about it and many plugins don't
implement progress notification properly)
-- Some plugins implements custom notification popups (those
practically
don't scale)

  So, I think all those things should be integrated within a better
user
story.

  One possibility could be to introduce new trim bar that would show
number of unread errors/processes/notifications and would allow to jump
into particular view to see more details. I.e. few buttons for each
event type with number next to it. Those buttons could also show
summary
in the mouse tooltip, so it will be easy to see if there is anything
important.

  What everyone think about this?

  regards,
  Eugene

Tod Creasey wrote:
Can be previewed on the wiki (liked off of our page)

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Platform_UI/33_Features

Tod