[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
[ui-best-practices-working-group] Proposed agenda for September 13 meeting

I would like to propose the following agenda for the ui-best-practices-working-group meeting on September 13.

Conference Call: Wednesday, September 13, 9:30 PDT 613.287.8000 or 866.362.7064 passcode 892048#

 

* Review action items - listed below

* Review the additional detail to the charter related activities – listed below

 

Any other suggestions are most welcome.

 

-------------------- Previous action items ----------------------------------------------------

 

* Bjorn to change the name of the group, mailing list and wiki

* Bob to draft a general call to action to join the group

* Bob to update the wiki with the new charter

* Troy to draft the next level of detail for the charter and what we wish to ask the planning council to drive as requirements.

* Membership invitations – develop leads and invite:

   * Bob – Borland, Actuate

   * Boris – Intel

   * Wassim – WTP

 

--------------------- Charter related activities ------------------------------------------------

 

POST-MORTEMS

 

   PURPOSE: Assess the state of the project with respect to usability; prioritize corrective measures and work them into the release plan

 

  TIMING: At the start of a new development cycle, during planning phase

 

  WHO DOES THIS:  UI lead and interested others from a given project

 

  APPROACH: Project team gathers usability issues from sources which may include, but are not limited to, the following: newsgroup questions, UI walkthroughs, Bugzilla reports, usability tests on the previous release, etc

 

  OUTPUT:

 

- Project team members summarize issues into a list and assign severities to each item (e.g., 1 - prevents completion of task, 2 - significant delay in task completion, 3 - minor delay in task completion)

            - File requirements for feature level work, file bug reports for smaller items

            - Post prioritized list on project wiki with links to related requirements/bug reports for items that have them (example list format: itemID, description, severity, requirement/bug report link, assigned release)

 

 MID CYCLE SHOW AND TELLS

 

  PURPOSE: Share information about what is under way in the various projects; early identification and dissemination of good UI solutions, early identification and dissuasion from not-so-good UI practices

 

  TIMING: Near the middle of the development cycle

 

  WHO DOES THIS: UIBP group schedules these meetings with UI leads from the various project teams; this will likely involve only a subset of the projects over a given cycle due to time constraints

 

  APPROACH: A given project team demos the major features being added for the release. Demos should reflect typical usage scenarios. Presentation must accommodate a distributed audience (e.g., use WebEx or comparable technology). Although the meeting will focus on a given project, each meeting should be publicized to all project UI personnel so others can optionally attend.

 

  OUTPUT:

            - UIBP group culls potential examples - whether positive or negative - for addressing in the UI guidelines. These are kept in a sandbox type area of the wiki. 

           - Any suggestions for UI improvements from the UIBP group are communicated directly to the project UI lead

 

 LAST CHANCE UI REVIEW

 

  PURPOSE: Identify candidates for final hour usability/UI cleanup.  These items will tend to be cosmetic since few if any destabilizing changes can be introduced at this point.

 

  TIMING: Late in the development cycle - post code complete but fairly early in the bug fixing phase

 

  WHO DOES THIS: Minimally, the UI team members from each project; it's also a good idea to invite one or two additional individuals who aren't as close to the project - they can offer a novel viewpoint

 

  APPROACH:

 

            - Members of the review group refresh their recollection of the UI guidelines checklist (each member can cover several sections)

            - The group jointly walks through the product, in the role of a new user, following the major usage scenarios, and identifying areas for improvement

            - A list of potential fixes is prioritized and the set that will actually get fixed is decided upon

            - The final fix list is posted on the project wiki

 

>>Register now for BEA World 2006 --- See http://www.bea.com/beaworld<<
_______________________________________________________________________
Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient,
and have received this message in error, please immediately return this
by email and then delete it.