Re: [tycho-user] Creating a shaded/"uber-jar?"

Hi Dominique,

Am Donnerstag, 11. Juli 2019, 15:09:58 CEST schrieb Dominique Marcadet:

Hello,

I also need to build an uber-jar for a standalone version of a tool using EMF plugins. For the moment, I use the eclipse:to-maven goal from the Apache Maven Eclipse Plugin which is "retired" but still available.

Why? Maven Central is now constantly fed with the current versions for the basic Eclipse stuff (with proper dependencies), look for groupIds org.eclipse.platform, org.eclipse.emf, org.eclipse.xtext, ... i.e. you can build non-Eclipse/OSGi applications with those jars without any problems.

Personally I would abstain from jars in jars, because they tend to have bad startup times. We had once an application taking 45 minutes (!), because we embedded a 80 MB Weblogic client jar.

We build now ZIP files containing Bash or Windows shell scripts that add all jars in a relative directory (e.g. lib) to the classpath and start then the application. Works like charm and you can easily exchange or add jars for testing purposes or extensions. We use a home-grown functionality, but you may take a look at the appassembler-maven-plugin of MojoHaus that has the same purpose.

Cheers,

Jörg

[snip]

Back to the top