Re: [tycho-user] how to force tycho to use a specific set of plugins from the local maven repo?

Unfortunately build server terminology is ambiguous and varies by product so here is what I'm using:
  • Job - discrete top level object that has configuration for running a build
  • Build - an execution of a job
  • Phase - step within a job (e.g. build, test, release)
  • Downstream Job - job triggered by completion of another

Job configuration in build servers usually allows you to share folders between phases of the build execution e.g. build & test.  We don't really use downstream jobs, but I assume build servers should allow you to share downstream too but you should be careful the downstream job(s) don't deploy (just a guess - downstream jobs may need to be duplicated or have a variable to avoid deploying, see docs or lists for your build server).

Yes, the m2 repository should be wiped at the end of a build, the only time the local m2 repository should be shared is when the job/stage needs to explicitly consume the content that was produced in the previous step. (e.g. test phase needs to consume the artifacts in build phase). With a local repository manager proxying remotes there shouldn't be a significant impact on build times.

On 2 October 2017 at 12:36, Tom Bryan (tombry) <tombry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Matthew Piggott <mpiggott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Monday, October 2, 2017 at 12:03 PM

>  use a share a local m2 between build stages and downstream jobs

Thanks for the advice.  Let me make sure that I understand this suggestion.  Who shares the local m2 repository?  All build jobs running on the same CI server?  Or just an individual build job for the various artifacts generated and consumed during a single reactor?  That is, are you saying that this  local m2 repository is basically empty at the start of the build, and then it could be wiped at the end of the CI build process?  That way, everything that gets installed to the local m2 repository is coming from your “repository manager” or from artifacts generated by the reactor.

Thanks,
---Tom