Re: [tycho-user] Understand choices and strategies for composite update site?

Hi David,

One idea would be to use composite repo (as your subject suggests),
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Composite_Repositories_(new) set
up as follows:

http://site/p2/ <-- main update site, composite of all subdirectories
/p2/v1.0/ <-- 1.0 version, composite of all "compatible" releases with 1.0
/p2/v1.0/v1.0.1 <-- actual release p2 site
/p2/v1.0/v1.0.2 <-- future compatible release that you want
conservative user to upgrade to
/p2/v2.0/  <-- 2.0 version, composite of all "compatible" releases with 2.0
/p2/v2.0/v2.0.1 <-- future release p2 site,

This allows users to focus on which ever level of risk and upgrading
you want. If they want to limit to a specific version, then use the
longest URL, if they want whatever is latest, use the shortest. Then
you have the secondary decision of what update site you include in the
product when you ship/install it.

Regardless of your approach, I personally am a big fan of composite
repos because it allows each individual build to be independent, both
in its creation and later in accessing it for end users or extenders.

BTW Eclipse IDE has struggled to answer spme of these questions for
many years. i.e. should Eclipse 4.5 (Mars) upgrade to 4.5.1 (Mars.1)
and 4.5.2 (Mars.2) only, or should it also upgrade to 4.6 (Neon). So
the issues you are struggling with are not simply solved.

Jonah

~~~
Jonah Graham
Kichwa Coders Ltd.