Re: [tycho-user] How to correct Tycho generics compile error -- JDT compile gives no error

On 3/9/2016 12:09 AM, Sievers, Jan wrote:
hard to tell without a sample project.
Tycho 0.24.0 is using the JDT compiler version from Mars.1 [1]

To verify this is not a JDT bug, you could

- use an eclipse Mars.1 IDE and check if compilation using the IDE works fine
- if it consistently fails with Mars.1, try using a newer version of org.eclipse.jdt.core, see e.g.

https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.releng.aggregator.git/tree/eclipse-platform-parent/pom.xml#n459

also, mvn -X will give you the compilation classpath, so you could check if there is anything different.

For reference, [2] are the fixes for the JDT compiler done for Mars.2. On first glance there are some fixes related to generics, so looks like it's possible this is/was a JDT bug.

Regards,
Jan

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes/0.24#Other
[2] https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?classification=Eclipse&component=Core&list_id=13980417&product=JDT&query_format=advanced&target_milestone=4.5.2

FWIW

I have only two instances of Eclipse installed: Mars.1 from the standard downloaded zip; and Mars.2 installed using the MSI installer, with its plugins installed into a .p2/pool entirely separate from Mars.1.

For both Mars.1 and Mars.2, the Java(JDT) editor reports no errors - I can find no preference setting to adjust, let alone turn off this type of error.  The standard Eclipse IDE export plugin works and the plugin works without error.

The console output from running mvn -X is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7yeff1yeyj2910/CompileOutput.txt?dl=0
I could see nothing that would indicate it using a wrong compiler/setting, but I am still very new to Maven/Tycho.

The Java source file in question is just a local copy of Eclipse's own org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.preferences.CodeAssistAdvancedConfigurationBlock

Casting is a short-term solution.  I will try to prep a sample project to demo the problem.

Thanks.

Back to the top