Re: [tycho-user] Using --update-snapshots with Tycho

We use the -U (--update-snapshots) flag in many of our JBoss Tools
builds and yes, it does encourage maven to look at Nexus for newer
snapshots of our maven deps (eg., Tycho plugins).

Not 100% sure if it also causes p2 deps to be reloaded since afaict
Tycho fetches fresh p2 site metadata with every build anyway.

I believe Tycho uses the local cache if the cache contains newer stuff
(eg., if you build some dependency like our parent pom locally that
will trump whatever is found in Nexus / p2 repos), but will still LOOK
to the internet for newer p2 deps when it loads p2 repos at the start
of the build.

There's a p2 cache in the ~/.m2/repository/.meta/ folder that contains
all the versions/timestamps of the p2 fetched/built artifacts. Often,
instead of -U I just delete that cache and fire a rebuild to force
fresh deps to be re-downloaded (or at least re-checked).