[tycho-user] Some confusion about the deploy[-file]

For reasons into which I don’t currently wish to delve, we can’t conveniently use ‘mvn deploy’ to make our eclipse-plugin projects available in standard Maven repo for non OSGI consumers (accepting that obviously the code in those eclipse-plugin jar files can’t actually have a runtime requirement on OSGi services much list Equinox framework). I’m investigating a process to take the jar files from each milestone software site and use the deploy-file goal on them, hoping to get the result as close to having run ‘mvn deploy’ during the build. Granted these questions are about non-Tycho goals, but specifically in the context of using them for jar files packaged with eclipse-plugin  packaging type.

When I run ‘mvn deploy’ I end up with something like this

{repo}/com/lgc/com.lgc.example/1.0.0-SNPASHOT/com.lgc.example-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
{repo}/com/lgc/com.lgc.example/1.0.0-SNPASHOT/com.lgc.example-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT.pom
{repo}/com/lgc/com.lgc.example/1.0.0-SNPASHOT/com.lgc.example-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-p2artifacts.xml
{repo}/com/lgc/com.lgc.example/1.0.0-SNPASHOT/com.lgc.example-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-p2metadata.xml
{repo}/com/lgc/com.lgc.example/1.0.0-SNPASHOT/maven-metadata.xml

We have -SNAPSHOT in the pom.xml because we have to in order to have .qualifier in the manifest. The installed/deployed pom file has the correct packaging (because it’s the actual pom.xml from the build). What do those p2*.xml files provide? They look like an M2 version of a subset of a software site’s artifacts.jar and content.jar.

If I take a plugin jar from milestone 5  and run ‘mvn deploy:deploy-file’ with these arguments to deploy a qualified release build (m5)

-Dfile=com.lgc.example_1.0.0.1234.jar -DgroupId=com.lgc -DartifactId=com.lgc.example -Dversion=1.0.0-m5 -Dpackaging=eclipse-plugin

I end up with this

        {repo}/com/lgc/com.lgc.example/1.0.0-m5/com.lgc.example-1.0.0-m5.eclipse-plugin
        {repo}/com/lgc/com.lgc.example/1.0.0-m5/com.lgc.example-1.0.0-m5.pom
{repo}/com/lgc/com.lgc.example/1.0.0-m5/mavne-metadata.xml

If I instead use ‘-Dpackaging=jar -Dtype=eclipse-plugin’ then I correctly get a jar file. But the created pom file doesn’t set the packaging to eclipse-plugin. Does that mean that a non-Tycho build for a regular jar artifact won’t be able to specify a dependency on com.lgc.example with a type of ‘eclipse-plugin’? Does that matter? Will successfully getting the packaging type to eclipse-plugin require the presence of those two p2*.xml files?

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Back to the top