Re: [tycho-user] Problem about installMode="root"

Products built with features without installMode="root" will have a single root product feature and all installed features will be dependencies of this root feature.
In order to update any of the dependencies, one would need to update the whole prooduct. I also struggled with this for some time and I didn't find a good way to manage such configuration.

Before installMode="root" got implemented I used <product>.p2.inf which basically achieves the same result:

requires.1.namespace = org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu
requires.1.name = org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.feature.feature.group
requires.1.range = [1.4.2, 2.0.0)

requires.2.namespace = org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu
requires.2.name = com.tetrade.eclipse.plugins.easyshell.feature.feature.group
requires.2.range = [1.4.1, 2.0.0)

requires.3.namespace = org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu
requires.3.name = org.eclipse.m2e.feature.feature.group
requires.3.range = [1.3.0, 2.0.0)

@ anton
What does "hard dependency" mean? Do you mean, that the old version products will never be supported by updating the sub features?