Re: [tycho-user] Resolve Maven plugin dependencies from target platform?

Hi Igor,

> Personally, I consider this an antipatern. Such tight coupling between
> code generator, runtime and generated code is just asking for troubles.

I tend to agree. Based on my limited understanding of Xtext, the issue
arises because at least one of the xtext-maven-plugin's dependencies is
the language definition itself, which is also used/needed at runtime.

But maybe I need to better understand how closely the
code-generation-time language definition and the runtime language
definition need to match first. I'll ask in the Xtext forum. Thanks for
your comments; they will be a good input for my inquiry there.

> I don't see how to make this work. I don't believe there way to express
> "this plugin depends on the same version of xtext runtime as the project
> being built". If this was plain Maven project you could use
> ${xtext-version} property to link dependency and plugin/dependency
> versions, but with Tycho this is not possible because xtext version
> isn't known until well into the build.

Does that mean that Maven resolves plugin versions for all the projects
in the reactor at the very start rather than when building each project.
If that is the case, then I can see why this feature would be very hard,
if not impossible to implement.

Best wishes,

Andreas

--