Re: [tycho-user] Using update sites with Tycho

> From: Mickael Istria <mistria@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: tycho-user@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: 08/25/2014 09:47
> Subject: Re: [tycho-user] Using update sites with Tycho
> Sent by: tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On 08/22/2014 10:09 AM, martin.kamp-jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> 1) Developers need to be able to work offline/with poor internet
> connectivity. As far as I have found, Tycho does not support file
> system update sites, at least officially [2] [3].

> Actually, Tycho does support file system based URLs for repository,
> but not in the jar: format.
> For example "file:/home/me/mirrors/luna" would be a valid URL for
> Tycho, and if this path contain a mirror of Luna repo, Tycho will use it.

Currently we have an Eclipse target platform file (*.target) where we define an update site (that we generate as part of our bootstrap) using jar: format. It works in Eclipse and using Tycho. Example:

<location includeAllPlatforms="false" includeMode="planner" includeSource="true" type="InstallableUnit">
<unit id="..." version="..."/>
<repository location="jar:file:///data/p2updatesite-1.0.0-SNAPSHOT-site.zip!/"/>
</location>

> A workaround might be to deploy the update site generated by p2-
> maven-plugin to a local HTTP server. It might even be a possibility
> that each developer runs a local Nexus instance since this could
> then proxy update sites for other dependencies such as Eclipse. Or
> something else?

> This approach seems a bit too complicated IMO.
> I would suggest instead that you'll have a look at how Tycho/Maven
> allows to define local mirror for repositories: http://
> wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Target_Platform/Authentication_and_Mirrors
> With that, you can just tell developers to get a copy of a repo,
> define it as a mirror in there settings.xml, and Tycho would use
> those local ones instead of the remote repositories

The mirroring sounds interesting but I'm not sure how that's going to work for both Eclipse and Tycho?

Sorry for the mail format. I'm still not too familiar with Notes :(

Back to the top