Re: [tycho-user] skipTests vs. maven.test.skip?

For "normal" Maven projects, maven.test.skip also skips compilation of test classes. skipTests will compile tests but not run them, and will fail the build if compilation of tests fails; so it gives at least the guarantee that the change didn't break too much your tests and that they are still compiling, and this is generally something you like to ensure even if you don't run the tests.
For tycho-surefire-plugin, there is no "test" scope for dependencies or classes, so it compiles the test classes as regular classes, and I don't think tycho-surefire-plugin makes a difference between skipTests and maven.test.skip. If they are really equivalent, then I would advise to use Maven recommendations and use "skipTests" so people switching between regular Maven and Tycho wouldn't have to adapt.

My 2c.
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat