Re: [tycho-user] Folder configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundles with jars is missing

Hi Mikhail,

Thank you for taking the time to explain me those things. It is very interesting. I didn't know that the folder org.eclipse.osgi/bundles/X/Y/.cp was created at runtime. I thought it was generated at packaging time.

As soon as I have read this I got back to my build, extract it and launch it. Guess what ? It is working...I have spent multiple hours to get the same tree structure as my deployement example. In fact that deployement may had been run before so I could never get the same structure..

Thank you very much you saved my rest of that night :-)

Boris

Hi Boris,

I am not sure I can help with your specific case, but at least I can try to clarify some of the things confusing you.

To start with, as you know Eclipse RCP is built on top of Equinox, an implementation of OSGi framework. It is cool because Eclipse RCP functionality can be contributed in individual bundles (plugins, features, plugin patches etc.), which will be loaded on demand and can be unloaded upon request by OSGi framework. This all sounds great, but in order to launch an RCP application you need to tell OSGi framework where it can find its bundles. This is what p2 is for: installing and uninstalling OSGi bundles and other artifacts into an RCP application. Now, how does p2 know where to find the bundles? Well, it looks in p2 repositories, which are produced by your build tool such as Tycho. Let us sum this up,
 - Tycho build produces an eclipse (p2) repository
 - Tycho may also materialize (install) a product (rcp application) from this repository. During this process bundles in installable state from p2 repo are converted into bundles in runnable state in destination directory.
 - When Eclipse RCP is launched, a small program called simpleconfigurator updates the list of bundles available for OSGi framework and hands over control to it.

If I interpret your description correctly, you've successfully built a p2 repo and materialized the product, but could not launch it. Furthermore, you believe this happens because configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/bundle/X/Y/.cp directory is missing. The thing is this directory is a runtime artifact produced by OSGi framework when it loads a bundle. The fact that this directory is missing is most likely not a reason for launch failure but its consequence. Hence, the error is somewhere else. It is difficult to be more concrete because you didn't provide an error trace. As a random guess, I would start by double-checking that the required jars are indeed nested in your plugin's jar file so OSGi framework has something to install. If it does not help, and the error trace is not too inspiring, I'd create a small test project which demonstrates your problem so others can try it locally.

Kind regards,
Mikhail Kalkov

Eclipse Developer | Purple Scout AB | www.purplescout.com
Kyrkogatan 20-22, SE-41110 Gothenburg, Sweden