From: tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Wladimir Safonov
Sent: Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2012 18:53
To: Tycho user list
Subject: [tycho-user] Wrong version resolved from the locally built artefacts

Hi there,

I have a question about IU resolution process implemented in Tycho. If there are several bundles matching some version range on a dependency, Tycho would give no guarantee about which bundle will be picked up for the resolved target platform, right? I have a scenario, where I see that not the oldest version "wins" but rather an arbitrary one from all matched. This is an excerpt from the debug output for a module which picks an old version instead of the newest one:

[DEBUG] Slice:
  <...>
  com.example.helpers 1.1.0.v20120711-1215
  <...>
  com.example.helpers 1.2.0.v20121016-1005
  <...>

[DEBUG] Resolved IUs:
  <...>
  com.example.helpers 1.1.0.v20120711-1215
  <...>

Dependency on the com.example.helpers bundle is specified as a range [1.1.0,). I have several modules with exactly this dependency. The quirky thing is that some of them are resolved with the newest version (1.2.0), but some are not. All versions of the com.example.helpers bundle come from the local repository and never from the build reactor.

Now, as we basically have this situation on our CI server, I know that I can fix it just by clearing the local repository on the server once in a while. But shouldn't Tycho provide a consistent behaviour here and pick up correct latest version when resolved against a version range in multiple alternatives scenario?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Vladimir