From: tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric Gwin
Sent: Freitag, 5. Oktober 2012 14:12
To: Tycho user list
Subject: [tycho-user] 'strict' mode for OSGi?

Hi,

We are using Tycho to generate run-time OSGi bundles using a manifest-first methodology. We've discovered some non-standard behavior, and are wondering if there is a resolution already available.

It seems that Tycho is resolving classes that it shouldn't. Specifically, when the manifest doesn't explicitly import packages that are found in the JDK (JEE 6) but not explicitly made available in OSGi's core in the OSGi spec (e.g. javax.xml.bind) resolution and compilation complete successfully, however the bundle will fail at run-time on other containers (e.g Felix) because the manifest isn't correct.

Adding the appropriate imports still compiles, and resolves the portability issues. It looks like Eclipse is "helping" by making the classes available since other containers don't, the bundles generated are non-portable. If there is a "strict mode" in Tycho that we can enable, it may solve the problem, but experimenting on our part has not found any such setting.

One major reason we moved to Tycho was to allow compile-time feedback regarding appropriate manifest settings.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Eric