From: tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tycho-user-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of jan.hofmayer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Donnerstag, 6. September 2012 12:39
To: tycho-user@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [tycho-user] product file + eclipse-repository + local application startup

Hi,

I’ve got a multi module rich client build which is based on a product file (using Tycho 0.15.0). I now would like to use that product file for the Maven build and for local application start up (out of the Eclipse workspace).

The problem is, that if you want to start it out of Eclipse, you need to have a dependency in the product file to the plug-in where the product file is in. If you don’t have that, the application crashes at start up with

!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.app 0 0 2012-09-06 12:06:53.244

!MESSAGE Product rc.product could not be found.

.

.

.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2012-09-06 12:06:53.275

!MESSAGE Application error

!STACK 1

java.lang.RuntimeException: No application id has been found.

But if you add that dependency, the Maven build will complain with

[ERROR] Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: "No solution found because the problem is unsatisfiable.": ["Unable to satisfy dependency from rc-eclipse-repository.product 0.0.0 to rc-eclipse-repository 0.0.0.", "No solution found because the problem is unsatisfiable."] -> [Help 1]

I think that is the case because the product file’s pom.xml is

<packaging>eclipse-repository</packaging>

and not

<packaging>eclipse-plugin</packaging>

and therefore it is no plugin for the Maven build when it resolves it dependencies.

Of course there’s an easy workaround (just tell every developer “fix that locally, but don’t check it in”), but I was wondering if there is a better solution for this?

Thanks,

Jan