Re: [tycho-user] Advice on the best way to release a project

Maven-release-plugin is not compatible with Tycho. In general, OSGi encourages of 4-digit numbering, using a qualifier, whereas Snapshot release plugin would tend to remove it. Those 2 approaches are not compatible.
In general, you can keep qualifier and snapshot for a release, but change them to a more meaningful value which would hightlight this is a release. Several projects append a -Final or -Release at build-time to the qualifier to highlight what is a release and what is not.