[tycho-user] tycho compiler plugin does not yield an error when incompatible source and target versions are used

Hi,

I recently wanted to migrate my Eclipse plug-in to Java v1.7 to use its new language features. Unfortunately, I did not notice in the first palce that I cannot write code in v1.7 and expect it can be run with a JRE v1.6 or below because of binary incompatibilities. Unfortunately, the Tycho compiler plug-in did not yield an error for the following:

<plugin>
<groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
  <artifactId>tycho-compiler-plugin</artifactId>
  <version>0.15</version>
  <configuration>
     <source>1.7</source>
     <target>1.6</target>
  </configuration>
</plugin>

If I run javac manually with -source 1.7 and target 1.6, it yields the following error:

javac: source release 1.7 requires target release 1.7

Why does the tycho compiler plug-in not emit the same error?

Thanks,
Michael

Back to the top