[tycho-user] Meaningless to increase version number of projects when tagging/releasing?

I am releasing a MANIFEST-first project using tycho 0.15.0 based on a mix of the approaches described [1,2]. I am going through the whole process of incrementing versions using the tycho-versions-plugin, manually modifying .product files, creating branch, create tag, update trunk etc. But I think this approach is overkill for the current state/complexity of our application.

Assume that:

a) The only external dependencies are the eclipse platform.
b) The application does not not include p2 self-update. The user needs to reinstall each time a new version of the application has been made available.
c) There is no distrubtion system. So there is no way of depending on previously build binaries. To my understanding even nexus pro does not have full support for osgi/p2 repositories that can be integrated with maven SCM and the maven-deploy-plugin.

Then as I see it the release procedure can be boiled down to:

x) Verify that trunk builds and all tests pass, eg. use Jenkins.
y) Optionally modify some branding info, eg. about box text/version and install paths if installers are also build.
z) Create a tag from trunk with a major.minor.bugfix suffix to the folder name.
w) Done. Now this tag can always be checked out and the corresponding release can be reconstructed.

So what do I gain from going through the pain of updating versions for all projects if my application is of the type described in a) - d)? It is difficult to justify to go though the steps described [1,2] if its not strictly necessary but maybe I lack some basic application life cycle knowledge here?

[1] https://docs.sonatype.org/display/M2ECLIPSE/Staging+and+releasing+new+M2Eclipse+release
[2] https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/TYCHO-214

/Johs

Back to the top