[tycho-user] Tycho and code generation: Best practices

Hi everybody,

in my tycho build, I'm generating quite a bit of code. To be more
specific, I generate a bunch of EMF plug-ins, two GMF editors, I've got
a JavaCC grammar, and finally, an XText grammar.

Now, some of the plug-ins will be generated completely (e.g., EMF's
.edit and .editor stuff). As such, these projects are not in my
repository, and therefore there's no place for committing the pom.xml
files for these projects.

Therefore, my build process currently looks like this:
1) Check out projects
2) Import projects into Eclipse workspace
3) Code generation
4) Generate POMs
5) Adjust some of the POMs by replacing them with prepared ones
6) mvn install

In the meantime, I have read quite a few times that the POMs should be
committed to the repository, and that tycho POM generation is only
supposed to be used once. In contrast, the MDD community proposes to
never commit anything which can be generated.

So I'm asking myself: How do you guys handle code generation and
committing of POMs? Are there any best practices which would suit my
very situation?

Thanks
Christian

--
A. Whitney Brown: "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a
vegetarian because I hate plants."

Back to the top