Re: [tycho-user] manifest-first with ordinary dependencies

It's more complicated. For compilation and packaging of individual
bundles, yes, I would agree that pom-first provides better separation of
compile-time vs run-time concerns and easier overall development
experiences... provided that all dependencies available from Maven
repositories, that is. If most of project dependencies come from p2
repositories, as is often the case with Eclipse IDE/RCP bundles, than it
is easier to use manifest-first and take advantage of Tycho dependency
resolution (and no, I do not believe proper conversion from p2 to maven
is possible). Also, managing runtime dependencies, like when running
tests for example, is better using p2/osgi resolution. It maybe possible
to come up with some mixed mode, but I never had time to think it
through to be honest.

Igor