[tycho-user] Feature requires import

Hi,

I have a build set up using tycho 0.11.1 and target platforms. In an effort to remove the target platform from the build I found a small descrepancy in how features are validated with and without a tycho.targetPlatform.
I tried to boil it down to a form that is easier reproducible.

I specify a simple feature with a simple requires section:
   <requires>
      <import feature="com.example.nonexisting"/>
   </requires>

This generates a warning in PDE but allows me to build it none-the-less.

With tycho 0.11.1 passing a tycho.targetPlatform that doesn't contain the feature it compiles fine.
If I remove the tycho.targetPlatform and use the p2 resolver, it fails with a missing dependency.

Reading through the feature spec[1] I believe that providing a warning is the appropriate response since requires section is an installation issue not a compile/build issue.
Also found that when specifying a legal published feature (such as org.eclipse.platform) the p2 resolver will resolve the feature transitively. That is probably not necessary anyway (since plugins have specified dependencies directly) and can potentially cause a download-the-internet syndrom.

Have tested with 0.12.0 which behaves similarly, but not tested 0.13-SNAPSHOT.

Regards

/Niels

[1] http://help.eclipse.org/indigo/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Ffeature_manifest.html

Back to the top