Re: [tycho-user] Bundles in repository vs product

>What is the logic
>that decides whether or not a bundle ends up in the repository?

The difference is that p2 director (which is used to create the product) always adds all transitive dependencies to the product (regardless whether they are "included" dependencies [i.e. with perfect version match] or bundle dependencies with a version range.
By default, the repository contains only the transitively *included* dependencies.

If you want all transitive dependencies added to your repository, configure

<includeAllDependencies>true</includeAllDependencies>

(this was added in tycho 0.11.0, see https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/TYCHO-551 )

In general, this happens if your .product definition is not transitively complete.
So your other option should be to add all missing transitive dependencies explicitly to your .product (or the features included in your product).
BTW, PDE .product editor has a "validate" button which should help you list the missing dependencies.

>And isn't the product based on the contents of the repository?

Not exactly. p2 director resolves against local reactor and your target platform during installation of the product.

Best Regards,
Jan