[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[tycho-user] Request for Comments: Migration path to new packaging type for p2-enabled products
- From: "Oberlies, Tobias" <tobias.oberlies@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:19:03 +0100
- Accept-language: en-US, de-DE
- Acceptlanguage: en-US, de-DE
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Thread-index: AcvkvwfuZlyDJE7ZR9eeiFS9x5cpQg==
- Thread-topic: Request for Comments: Migration path to new packaging type for p2-enabled products
Tycho developers and users -
As announced before , we want to introduce a new packaging type for building p2-enabled products and remove that functionality from eclipse-repository . While the technical details are mostly clear, we haven't decided on how this packaging type shall be introduced.
The new packaging type shall replace the current eclipse-application implementation. There are two options how this could be done:
1. By assigning a new name to the new packaging type, e.g. "eclipse-product". The current eclipse-application packaging type would be deprecated and eventually be removed.
2. By replacing "eclipse-application". To avoid the risk of blockers, the current implementation would remain available as fall-back under the name "eclipse-application-old".
What is your opinion on this?
I think that we should go for option 2, because it makes it more clear what we want people to use. I don't want the confusion again that we caused with eclipse-repository and eclipse-update-site. Also, the new packaging type will not need to mature after it has been created (as this was/is the case with eclipse-repository) because it will just be factored out of the eclipse-repository implementation.
Pflichtangaben/Mandatory Disclosure Statements: http://www.sap.com/company/legal/impressum.epx