Re: [tycho-dev] Tycho to require Java 11

As you have mentioned this will affect (and break!) existing builds, so it is not only "upgrade the build jvm", so I'm not very convinced to move to java 11 without any additional benefit, these backward incompatibilities since java 7 release are IMO one of the worst decisions.

So what are the real benefits of moving to java 11? Can we dramatically improve code-quality/speed? Can we support features currently not possible and long demanded by the community? Are there any major libraries (maven?) that force us because we can't upgrade any more?

If none of the above applies I fear people will be more frustrated than feeling helpful by forcing them to use java 11 and instead will stick at older tycho releases.

At least we should then move to Tycho 2.0 version to clearly state the breaking change.